On this Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service, The Arc will once again commemorate the life of Dr. King and his dream for equality and civil rights for all people. The iconic civil rights leader’s passionate and persistent fight for equality and against discrimination paved the way for the disability community to advance and persevere in its ongoing fight for equality, rights, and inclusion.
In honor of his work, The Arc is making it a day on, not a day off! This year, several chapters of The Arc and partner organizations will work together to address food insecurity and promote inclusive volunteering to bring together people with and without disabilities to serve their communities.
“People with disabilities are often perceived as the ones always in need of help, but in reality, they also have the desire and ability to help others and to play an active role in strengthening their own communities,” said Peter Berns, CEO of The Arc. “In the true spirit of Dr. King, the Day of Service shines a light on what all people – including those with intellectual and developmental disabilities – can do to love, uplift, and support their neighbors.”
Interested in participating on a volunteer project with one of our 2020 subgrantees? See if there’s a volunteer event near you in the list below! You can also search the national database for all opportunities to get involved.
2020 MLK Day of Service Partner Organizations
- The Arc of Midland (MI)
- Ridge Area Arc (FL)
- The Arc Nature Coast (FL)
- The Arc South Carolina (SC)
- The Arc of the Glades (FL)
- UCP Seguin Services (IL)
- TARC (OK)
- Choices for Community Living – Delaware, A subsidiary of Liberty Arc (NY)
- The Arc of Southwest Colorado (CO)
- The Arc Lane County (OR)
- The Arc Rockland (NY)
- AHRC NYC (NY)
- Holly Ridge Center (WA)
- The Arc Williamson County (TN)
- The Arc of Central Virginia (VA)
- The Arc of Calhoun and Cleburne Counties (AL)
- The Arc of the Quad Cities Area (IL)
- Nashville Food Project (TN)
- The Arc Jacksonville (FL)
- Cass Community Social Services (MI)
- Youth Impact (TX)
- Boys and Girls Club of Blue Ridge (VA)
- Stone Soup Cafe, a project of All Souls Church (MA)
- Star Inc. Lighting the Way (CT)
If you’re looking for more information on volunteering and people with disabilities, check out our free resources.